Today I'm going to share with you three common ways that many people use to immigrate to the United States. The first way is through family sponsorship. And family sponsorship means that you have a US citizen or sometimes a lawful permanent resident relative who can file an I130 petition for you and bring you to the United States.

Family member relationships

The kind of family member relationship that we are looking for involves a spouse, which means a husband or wife, or a child, a brother or sister, or a parent. Those are the relationships that we can use if you have a relative who is a US citizen. If your relative is a green card holder and a lawful permanent resident, then they can sponsor their spouse and their unmarried children.


The next most common way to immigrate to the United States is through employment. In this case, a US company is the one filing papers for a foreign national to get an immigrant visa and to come to the United States to work. Now as you might guess, you will need a good working relationship with that US company. For example, you may have worked for them previously, or you had an excellent job interview and the company really wants to bring you on board.

Diversity visa lottery

The last way that many people use to immigrate to the US is through the diversity visa lottery. The lottery is open every year in October and November. And it's available to people in many countries that are underrepresented among the immigrants who are coming to the United States. You can find a list of available countries on the state department website. And every year, the US CIS and the state department give out over 50,000 green cards to these lottery winners.

I hope this information has been helpful to you. As always, if you have a question, please let us know.